Monday 26 September 2016

Oatmeal Pancakes

I love my Johnnycakes, but sometimes it is nice to have a regular, fluffy pancake.  This recipe is similar to the one I used to use when I made waffles.  There is a small bit of baking powder, but it is the separately beaten egg whites that provide most of the lift to these pancakes.

Oatmeal Pancakes (gluten free)

Ingredients
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk
  • 2/3 cup (67 gm) oat flour 
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Method
  • Weigh out the flour, or spoon it into a measuring cup.  Never scoop oat flour out of the package with a measuring cup.  It will compact, and you will get more flour than you need.  
  • Beat together egg yolks, buttermilk, oat flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, vanilla, and olive oil.
  • In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
  • Fold beaten whites gently into the first mixture.
  • Drop batter by large spoonfuls onto an oiled skillet or griddle over medium heat.  Flip when the first side is golden brown.
  • When done, the pancakes will be golden brown and puffy.
Note:  I have used oat flour, but some other gluten free flours would also work since the lift is due mostly to the beaten egg whites.


I am fortunate enough to have a griddle, but a good cast iron skillet would also work well.  




The tricky part with a recipe like this is folding the egg whites into the batter.  You don't want to beat them together, because that would get rid of some of the lift of the egg whites.  It's hard to know exactly how much is too much.  Usually, I find that there is batter left at the bottom of the bowl which doesn't have much egg white in it.  These will not be quite as puffy, but will still taste delicious.  :) 

I was never really crazy about syrup on pancakes, although real maple syrup is an exception.  Usually I would put butter and homemade jam or preserves on my pancakes - yummy!   This pancake would be great with any of those toppings, but I go for peanut butter and honey - my favourite sandwich filling, when I still ate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment